This is a great recipe to make when you need to clean out the veggie bin. I try to stick as close to the recipe as possible, but sometimes I add a few extras depending on what needs to be used up.
Low-Calorie Vegetable Soup in the Crock Pot
- 8 cups vegetable broth (I prefer homemade, but canned works fine
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 small zuccini, diced
- 6 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3 Tbs. tomato paste
- 1 1/2 Tbs. Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
- Combine all ingedients (except for green beans) in crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until vegetables are tender.
- In the last 30 minutes or so of cooking, add the thawed green beans, cover and continue to simmer until beans are heated through.
- This took a while to cook in my crock pot. I have a couple of crocks and one cooks slower than the other. The thermostat must be out of whack, or maybe I had the crock over stuffed. Not sure. Either way, it turned out great!
- Joe sometimes adds rice to his portion or even some cooked ground sausage.
- We enjoy this soup served with grilled cheese sandwiches or quesadillas.