I especially love recipes that start with a boxed cake mix. Those recipes make it so much easier for this grumpy baker!
Occasionally, when Joe runs out to pick up the Sunday paper, he'll surprise me with a red velvet muffin stuffed with a sweet cream cheese filling. They are a rare treat, since a lot of time they are sold out by the time Joe he gets there.
Ever since I first started making Gooey Butter Cookies (another cake mix cookie), I've been wanting to try them using a red velvet cake mix in place of my usual yellow and chocolate cake mixes. I just never got around to trying it. When it came time to make cookies to take to our family's annual Christmas Eve party, I made it a point to try the Red Velvet Cookies.
Just as I suspected, they were a success! The only thing that would make them better is if they were frosted or filled with a cream cheese frosting!
Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
- Box Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 1 egg
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick butter, softened
- powdered sugar
- In a bowl, combine cake mix, egg, cream cheese and butter until well combined.
- Cover the cookie dough and chill overnight (or at least 4 hours).
- Roll dough into balls, then roll in powdered sugar.
- Bake in a 350* oven for 9-12 minutes.
I'm linking this recipe to the following blog carnivals and linky parties:
- Wonderful Wednesday hosted by Ducks in a Row