Need more ideas for preparing chicken? Check out this post for more than 100 chicken recipes!
Over the weekend, I made some homemade chicken stock using the bones from 2 rotisserie chickens. One was still pretty meaty and the other was picked over really well! When the broth was made and about 2 cups of chicken set aside, it was time for soup! Good timing too since I was starting to feel a bit under the weather...and with the weather we've been experiencing, it's no wonder!
Since we've already had a few pots of chicken noodle soup so far this winter, I decided to try a soup loaded with veggies and some barley.
Chicken Vegetable Barley Soup
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup baby carrots, chopped
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, chopped
- 9 cups chicken stock (I used homemade)
- 3 cups water
- 2 bouillon cubes (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. 21 Season Salute
- 1 cup cut green beans
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 cup barley
Directions:I've shared this recipe on the following blog carnivals and linky parties:
- I started with partially cooked veggies. Just steamed for a little while to soften them up a bit. You could steam them in just a little bit of water or even some of your chicken broth/stock.
- To your veggies, add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer for about 30-40 minutes until barley is tender.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.