Hamburger Barley Soup
- 3/4 lb. ground beef
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp. garlic
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1-2 cups water
- 2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbs. Ketchup
- 2 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp. Chipotle Tabasco Sauce
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 3 cups frozen vegetables
- 1/2 cup barley
- In a large pot or dutch oven, cook ground beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain grease.
- Add the fresh vegetables, stock, water seasonings and sauces.
- Bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat.
- Allow to simmer for about 1/2 hour or until the vegetables start to become tender.
- Stir in the frozen vegetables and the barley.
- Allow to cook for another 30 minutes - 40 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.
- I love how easy it is to throw this soup together but did consider how much quicker it would come together if I had used pre-cooked ground beef from the freezer.
- I used 3/4 lb. of ground beef to help keep the cost down on this soup, like I tend to do with a lot of recipes lately. But this soup is so full of veggies and barley, you could really just use 1/2 lb. without noticing.
Post a Comment