I don't concern myself too much about our summer meals. I worry more about keeping the house cool and comfortable for when he gets home. The air conditioner is on most days, so eating soup or stew in the summer is okay.
But there's nothing like a nice, warm bowl of beef stew after a really chilly day at work.
Here's an easy recipe that I like to use:
Crock Pot Beef Stew
- 1 pound, beef cubes
- potatoes, cubed
- onions, chopped
- carrots, chopped
- celery, chopped
- 1 - 2 cans condensed tomato soup
- Italian seasoning
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp. Beef Bouillon granules mixed with a small amount of water
- Salt & Pepper
Add all ingredients to crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
I've also made this in the oven. Still, it's super-easy! Add all ingredients to a large baking dish or foil pan. Cover with either a lid or two layers of foil and cook in a 250 degree oven for 5 hours.
- I usually use London Broil when I make this recipe. I buy it when it's on a BOGO sale. I like my stew meat diced much smaller than the pre-diced meat from the store, so I skip it and go for the London Broil and dice it myself.
- I really don't measure anything when I make this stew. I just add whatever I'm in the mood for at the time. The tomato soup does all the work and when it combines with the juices from the beef and vegetables, it really doesn't NEED anything other than salt and pepper if you're really in a hurry.
- I never use the same amount of vegetables. It varies each time I make it, according to what I have in my veggie bin. If I'm running low on potatoes, I add more carrots. If I'm out of celery, I skip it. It's really a fool-proof recipe.
- Sometimes I add frozen vegetables. Either whole corn or frozen mixed veggies. Whatever is handy at the time.
- Also, the only other liquid I add to the stew, is just a bit that I add to the can to get as much of the soup out of the can as possible. I use one or two cans of soup depending on how many veggies I add.
I'll be linking this post to the following blog carnivals:
- Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
- Tasty Tuesdays at A Beautiful Mess
- Tuesdays at the Table
- Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
- Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
- Delicious Dishes
- Hearth and Soul ~ Volume 20
- Tuesday Night Supper Club
- What's on the Menu Wednesday
- Works for Me Wednesday
- Wednesday Window
- What's Cooking Wednesday
- Ultimate Recipe Swap
- Foodie Friday
- Food on Fridays
- Family Food Fridays
- Homemaker Monday
- Mouthwatering Monday
- Monday Mania