It's funny all of the cookbooks we have. Joe and I used to pick up a new cookbook almost everytime we went to Sam's Club while we were first living together so many years ago.
Those cookbooks have gone neglected lately since Food Network has gotten so popular and recipes are so readily available on the Internet.
Since I don't have a lot of free time since Gracie's arrival, it's difficult for me to find time to sit at the computer in the guest room to browse for recipes. So, while she's in her bouncy seat or her swing, I like to sit on the couch and flip through the pages of some of our cookbooks.
The recipe I want to share today is from the Rival Crock-Pot Slow Cooker Cuisine cookbook. I'm thinking about trying this recipe this week. I'm sure that I will be making some changes to it (since I almost always change something in a recipe), but for now, I'll post it as it appears in the book.
Sweet and Sour Beef Over Rice
- 2 lbs. boneless chuck
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbs. margarine or butter
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. salt
- pepper to taste
- 4-6 carrots diagonally sliced
- Cut beef into 1-inch cubes.
- Mix together flour, salt, and pepper.
- Dredge beef cubes in mixture.
- In a skillet, heat margarine and olive oil and brown beef cubes.
- Place browned beef in the Crock-Pot.
- Add remaining ingredients except for carrots.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8-9 hours or on High for 4-5 hours.
- Add carrots and cook on Low 1 1/2 hours or on High for 30 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
- Serves 6.
I'll be linking this Crock-Pot recipe to Dining with Debbie's Crock Pot Wednesday.
I will also re-post MY version of this recipe after I make it (later this week), either here or at My Vintage Kitchen (my food/kitchen related blog), so be sure to check back!
This sounds wonderful! I think I will give it a try as well. Thank you for sharing it.
Oh, this looks very yummy! Thanks for posting :)
an award for you!
Post a Comment