Taking inventory of our pantry several months ago, I saw we had more than 10 cans of tuna fish. Probably closer to 20 cans. I decided to get past my hot tuna issues and make a tuna casserole. I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed the casserole and have made it several times since. I love this recipe, it's easy, frugal and tasty!
Tuna Noodle Casserole
- 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 can condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 3/4 cup fat free milk
- 2 cans (5oz each) albacore tuna, drained
- 1 cup French's French Fried Onions, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain
- In a casserole dish, mix together the cooked macaroni, thawed peas, canned soup, milk, tuna and HALF of the French Fried Onions.
- Top the casserole with the remaining half of the French Fried Onions.
- Bake 20-30 minutes.
This is a true comfort food meal for us. You could easily make this recipe healthier using your favorite homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe in place of the canned soup. There are plenty of resources online for homemade "cream of" soups. Also, if you want to avoid the pre-made, canned French Fried Onions, check out my friend Lisa's recipe for Green Bean Casserole where she features her homemade French Fried Onions!
Since this is one of our favorite "go-to" meals, I haven't tried either of the healthier options that I mentioned above.
I'll be sharing this post with the Presto Pasta Nights Round UP that my buddy Debbi from Debbi Does Dinner Healthy and Low Calorie is hosting! Do you have a pasta recipe to share? If so, hurry over to Debbi's blog to find out how to add your recipe to the round up.....deadline is Thursday, March 17th.
You can also find this recipe linked to the following blog carnivals and linky parties:
- Making A Home
- What's on the Menu Wednesday
- Works For Me Wednesday
- Whatever Goes Wednesday
- Homemaking Link-Up
- Let's Do Brunch
- Try New Adventures Thursday
- Frugal Food Thursday
- DIY Thrifty Thursday
- Thrilling Thursday
- Miz Helen's Full Plate Thursday
- I'm Lovin' It
- Home and Family Friday
- Ultimate Recipe Swap