I cannot believe we are at the end of the month already. Almost a full month has passed since Grace's 2nd Birthday (post to come soon), school is almost out (for my nieces and nephews) and we're already into our first holiday weekend of the summer!
Last week's menu plan went well. A few needed changes were made, but for the most part, it went okay. We had a couple of clean-out-the-fridge nights, also known as leftover buffet.
I wanted to share my recipe for pasta with vegetables that I made last week. I made sure to take note to the measurements as I threw the meal together. BUT, the dish didn't turn out as great as I had hoped. It looks pretty, but it tasted a bit bitter. I added spinach this time and although, I cook with spinach often, it just didn't work out this time. I usually use baby spinach, but Joe bought regular spinach leaves this time. I'll try again and share the recipe as soon as it's blog-worthy!
For June, I'm hoping to come up with a menu plan for the entire month. I started working on it a bit over the weekend, but I still have some tweaking to do. The reason for the month-long plan is to spend as little as possible this month (do you know, every time I say that we tend to spend MORE!) by "shopping" my pantry and freezer. I've been checking my file of recipes that I want to try, for ingredients that I already have on hand or that could be easily switched out for other items I already have. I'm sure I'll have to pick up a few things here and there, but I want to keep it to a minimum. It'll be a challenge, but one I need to accomplish!
Here's what I have planned for this week:
- Monday: Barbecue Chicken, buttered potatoes, steamed veggies, salad.
- Tuesday: Salmon burgers on whole wheat buns, potato salad, baked beans, sweet gherkins, salad.
- Wednesday: Chili Cheese Nachos, salad, carrot sticks. Although, I am planning to start counting calories on Wednesday (I'll be joining Debbi's Slimmer This Summer Challenge...click on the button above to learn more!), I'll be making this junk-food meal for dinner. To keep me from over-eating those yummy nachos, I'll fill up on the salad and carrot sticks....along with lots of water!
- Thursday: BBQ Chicken Enchiladas. I made Debbi's recipe before only slightly changing up a few of the measurements. I realize now, that I forgot to share the changes I made and I misplaced my notes. I'm sure the adjustments were only minor. I love that this recipe calls for my one of my favorite BBQ sauces!
- Friday: grilled hot dogs and baked beans. This will be another high-calor meal. The challenge will be to not over-do it. One hot dog, one serving of baked beans. I'd like to serve baked potatoes with this, but I'm thinking that might be a bit much, I'll decide after I see how the rest of my day goes.
- Saturday: Buffalo Chicken Wraps. I'm really excited to try this recipe! I love the idea of the spicy Frank's Red Hot combined with the sweet brown sugar. I also love that the chicken in served on a wrap! We eat a lot of wraps, especially during the summer.
- Sunday: Leftover Buffet. I'm sure by Sunday, my fridge will be overflowing with leftovers and bottled water. In order to make room for some fresh veggies for the next week, I'll have to use up some leftovers.
Okay, so that's what's cooking at my house! Head over to Menu Plan Monday hosted by I'm an Organizing Junkie to link up your weekly menu plan! OR, if you like, let me know what you'll be serving this week in the comments section!
Have you thought about using turkey dogs? Those have a fraction of the calories of real hot dogs!
Post a Comment