This makes a lot and since Joe isn't fully on board with my love for quinoa, I decided to freeze the leftovers in smaller portions for myself. Perfect for a quick lunch during the week!
Crock Pot Quinoa ~ Tex Mex Style
adapted from: Chelsea's Messy Apron
- 1 1/2 cups Quinoa, rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained/rinsed
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 jar Trader Joe's tomato-less Corn Salsa
- 6 mini sweet peppers, sliced
- 1 vidalia onion, diced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbs. Chili Powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbs. reduced sodium taco seasoning
- 3 cups water
- Spray crock pot insert with nonstick cooking spray.
- Rinse quinoa as directed on package.
- Combine all ingredients in crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- This is great served as is or with additional toppings like sour cream or shredded cheese (fat free varieties for me please).
- This recipe reminded me of Spanish Rice, so while it's great on it's own, it would also work well as a side dish.
- Excellent in a wrap, too!
Sounds great! Thanks for sharing!!
I keep seeing this and wondering if my gang would like it. Might have to give it a try... seems like this weather would be perfect timing for this dish.
Now that's my kind of dish! Yum! The combination of flavors looks delicious!
Post a Comment