Normally, I would head over to that recipe site that allows you to search for recipes based on the ingredients you wish to use. This time, I decided to search Pinterest for recipes using leftover mashed potatoes. I found lots of great options, but decided that this Rachel Ray recipe fit best with the ingredients I had on hand.
After a few changes, to better fit our tastes, this is what I came up with:
Mashed Potato and Cauliflower Soup
- 1 Tsp. Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 4 Tbs. butter
- 4 Tbs. flour
- 2 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 slices leftover turkey bacon, diced
- 2 cups leftover mashed cauliflower potatoes
- 1 cup shredded reduced fat Colby-Jack Cheese
- croutons for garnish (optional)
- In a dutch oven or soup pot, saute onions and celery in hot olive oil until tender.
- Add butter. When melted, stir in flour.
- Stir constantly until thickened.
- Add the broth and evaporated milk and allow to simmer until thick and bubbly.
- Season with pepper.
- Stir in the mashed potatoes and cook until heated through.
- Once hot and bubbly, whisk in the shredded cheese.
- Soup is ready when the cheese is completely melted.
- Ladle into soup mugs or bowls, top with croutons if desired.
- This soup was amazing! The photo above, is just a small tasting bowl. I wanted to sample the soup to be sure it was seasoned enough. I could have eaten the entire pot, it was that good!
- I chose to only use 2 slices turkey bacon, since I was pairing the soup with Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwiches for dinner. More bacon certainlty wouldn't ruin the recipe, but I was completely content with the lesser amount.
- Joe suggested that some finely diced double-smoked kielbasa, in place of the bacon, would be a tasty option as well. I agree.
I'll be linking this post to the following blog carnivals and linky parties:
- Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage
- Show Off Your Stuff at Fireflies and Jellybeans
- Strut Your Stuff at Somewhat Simple
- It's a Keeper Thursday at It's a Keeper
- Frugal Food Thursday at Frugal Follies