As usual, I made a few changes. I wasn't sure how I'd like allspice in the soup, so I left that out. An easy decision, since I didn't have any in the spice rack!
Hearty Vegetable Bean Soup in the Crock Pot
- yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced into 1" pieces
- 2 white potatoes, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 tsp. bottled minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 16 oz. bag, frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas, green beans, lima beans)
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes with garlic
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 Tbs. Italian Seasoning
- Combine all ingredients in crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours or until carrots and potatoes are tender.
- The original recipe stated the cooking time to be 8 hours on low. My crock pot usually cooks faster, but this time it took the full 8 hours. Probably because I added my vegetables while they were still frozen. Using thawed vegetables or cooking on a higher temperature would probably speed up the cooking time a bit.
- This made 6 hearty bowls of soup. You could probably stretch the recipe further, making it a thinner soup by adding more broth. Small pasta and/or shredded chicken or even ground beef would be a good addition as well.
How easy is that?! I love when it doesn't matter what order you add the ingredients to the crock pot! I really enjoyed this soup. It reminded me of a minestrone soup but without the pasta. I'm sure this recipe will be appearing in more than a few of our menu plans during the fall and winter months!
I've linked this recipe post to the following blog carnivals and linky parties:
- Delicious Dishes
- Open Call Tuesdays
- Your Cozy Home Party