When I saw Katie's recipe for Beef Cabbage Soup over at The Cutting Back Kitchen, I knew we had to try it! And I am so glad we did!
I made a few changes and was very pleased with the results!
Hearty Un-Stuffed Cabbage Soup
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 lb. bulk sausage (I used Bob Evans Zesty Sausage)
- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 28 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 15 oz. cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/4 cups. tomato sauce
- 5 cups water
- 2 tsp. garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 c. instant rice, uncooked
- Brown the ground beef and sausage in bottom of dutch oven or soup pot. Drain.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients (except the rice) and bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice, cover and reduce heat.
- Allow to simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Thanks to the rice and beans, this was a very filling soup! The rice thickened the soup a bit and gave it a very nice, hearty texture!
- This super-easy recipe could be made even simpler if you have pre-cooked ground beef/sausage in your freezer!
- Serves about 8, depending on your serving size...we like hearty portions!
We really enjoyed this hearty and frugal soup and I'm sure I'll be making it again and again throughout the fall and winter months!
What is your favorite way to prepare/serve cabbage?
I'll be linking this post to the following blog carnivals and linky parties:
- Works for Me Wednesday
- Real Food Wednesday
- Let's Do Brunch
- Miz Helen's Full Plate Thursday
- Pennywise Platter Thursday
- It's a Keeper Thursday
- Recipe Link Party
- Turning the Table Thursday
- Food on Fridays
- Foodie Friday
- Finer Things Friday
- Friday Potluck
- Food Trip Friday
- Friday Favorites
- Homestead Happenings
- Anti-procrastination Tuesday
- Tip Me Tuesday
- Delicious Dishes
- Anything Related
- Made From Scratch Tuesday