I was happy to find this recipe for Vegetarian Chili. Since I'm always looking to try new chili recipes, this seemed to be right up my alley!
I started off by following the recipe as written, substituting the liquid for organic tomato soup used in the original recipe. After letting it cook for a few hours, I adjusted the recipe slightly, to make it a better fit for our tastes.
Vegetarian Lentil Chili
- 16 oz. bag of lentils
- 1 cup dry pinto beans, soaked overnight
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes with mild chilis
- 2 chipotle peppers in 2 tsp. adobo sauce
- 32 oz. vegetable broth
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 can tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 2 Tbs. Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 Tbs. cumin
- 2 Tbs. molasses
- 2 Tbs. cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cook on high for one hour.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 10-12 hours, stirring occasionally.
- We both enjoyed the way this chili turned out. Good thing, since it made A LOT!
- This took longer to cook than I anticipated. Even with soaking the beans ahead of time, it took a while for them to start to soften up, then even longer to get them to the texture I desired. Next time, I will let this cook over night as stated in the original recipe. Or, I will cook my beans and lentils ahead of time, then combine in the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients.
- We've been trying to incorporate more meatless meals into our weekly menu plans. Not only is it healthy, it also helps keep food costs down.
- Serving this over rice or a baked potato or even cornbread really stretches this pot of chili into several meals, depending on the size of your family.
- This recipe is a definite keeper. I love that it's frugal and contains ingredients that I almost always have on hand. It's also very filling and healthy.
I feel tasting it...I am a spicy lover.Now cant wait until I try it....thanks for the recipe
Great looking meal! I love this kind of chili!
Wow, that looks really good. Thanks for posting.
I am going to have to try this. I have been on a lentil kick lately!
Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment