I enjoy cooking, but since we don't go out to dinner very often and rarely get takeout, I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. For that reason, I love when I find a great tip or shortcut that helps me get dinner to the table quickly. Prepping the veggies for all of my recipes early in the week or having chicken and ground beef pre-cooked in the freezer and measured out for specific recipes are both great time savers!
Recently, I was given the opportunity to try Jimmy Dean Crumbles. All of my previous experiences with pre-cooked meat from the supermarket never really went over too well, so I was pleasantly surprised that the texture and flavor of the fully cooked sausage crumbles were as if I had prepared them myself! The taste and texture were perfect, just like using fresh sausage...without the mess of having to drain a greasy pan!
Jimmy Dean Crumbles come in three varieties:
- Original Pork Sausage
- Turkey Sausage
- Hot & Spicy Sausage
For the recipe that I am sharing today, I used the Original Pork Sausage Crumbles.
This meal was so easy to prepare! Just a 1/2 cup of each of the toppings can be chopped up fairly quickly! If you happen to chop your vegetables ahead of time at the beginning of the week, your prep time on the day of the meal can be cut down even more!
Since my crusts only took about 7 minutes in the oven, I wanted to give my vegetables a head start in cooking. Any color bell pepper can be used, but I especially like the flavor combination of the green pepper with the sausage crumbles! I loved how fragrant this became just after cooking on the stove for a couple of minutes! The house smelled just like sausage and peppers from the fair!
I picked up an inexpensive package of two personal sized crusts, but if you have a favorite homemade or store bought crust, use whatever you like! Just be sure to prepare your crusts as instructed on the package. In my case, I brushed the crusts with a small amount of olive oil before layering my toppings!
I baked according to the directions on the package. 7 minutes at 425 degrees. Be sure to check the cooking times on your package.
This recipe calls for just 1/2 cup of the sausage crumbles. Each resealable package contains about five half-cup servings, so there was plenty more left for additional recipes that will share in separate posts. Don't worry, I'll provide the links here too, so they are easy to find!
As promised, here is the easy-to-read version of the above recipe!
Supreme Pizza with Jimmy Dean Crumbles
- 2 personal sized pizza crusts
- 1-2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup Jimmy Dean Crumbles, Original
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoni cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 3/4cup shredded mozzarella cheese (more if you like), divided
- olive oil, for brushing on crust
- crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Preheat oven and prepare crusts as directed on package, brush with oil if needed.
- Heat olive oil in small frying pan.
- Add the peppers and onions, allow to cook for just a minute or two.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds to a minute, or until fragrant.
- Add the pepperoni and Jimmy Dean Sausage Crumbles and cook until heated through.
- Spread 1/4 cup of pizza sauce over each of the personal pizza crusts.
- Sprinkle about a 1/4 cup of cheese on top of the sauce. (use more cheese if you like)
- Divide the pan of sausage, pepperoni and vegetables between the two crusts.
- Sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes if using.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven according to directions on pizza crust package. In my case, it was 7-10 minutes.
- Slice and enjoy!
This pizza was so delicious and pairs nicely with a simple crisp salad! We enjoyed it so much, we made it a couple of times already!
So, to recap, Jimmy Dean Crumbles are full of flavor, have a great texture and offers both easy clean up and convenient packaging! I say this product is a keeper!
Along with the opportunity to try this product for this recipe and review, I am also being entered to win a lifetime of sausage! The blogger with the highest interaction via comments, likes and shares will win and will be able to share the prize with one lucky reader!
Here are additional recipes that I created using Jimmy Dean Crumbles: