During this long and brutal winter, I've really been packing on the pounds starting with the holidays and all of the sweets, then comfort food during all of the bitter snow storms. Now, it is March and hopefully warmer days are in the near future. In fact, we "spring ahead" this weekend, which means Spring is on it's way...then summer! I will no longer be able to hide my weight gain under bulky sweaters and baggy sweat pants. Which means, I really need to get back on track and eat healthy meals and cut out the junk food.
Instead of raiding the cookie jar for breakfast this week, I've actually been starting my day with a healthy meal. Here is an example of a low-calorie breakfast that I've been enjoying the past few days:
Salsa Verde Sausage and Egg Bagel (serves 4)
- 4 Thomas' Bagel Thins, Original
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup Jimmy Dean Sausage Crumbles, Original
- 6 extra large eggs
- 2 Tbs. skim milk
- ground black pepper
- 4 Tbs. Salsa Verde
- Cook peppers in hot oil until almost tender.
- Stir in pre-cooked sausage crumbles. Allow to cook until peppers are done.
- Scramble eggs in a bowl with milk.
- Pour eggs into the pan with the sausage and peppers, stirring and scraping bottom of pan.
- Season with pepper.
- Divide the sausage and egg mixture between 4 of the bagels, toasted if desired.
- Top each with a tablespoon of Salsa Verde.
Total Calories: 1,480 calories*
4 servings @ 371* Calories per serving
(*calories are approximate and may not be accurate.)
371 calories may not seem very low, but considering that a similar sandwich runs close to 500 calories at a local convenience store, I think 371 is pretty good!
I've linked this recipe to the following blog carnivals and linky parties:
Post a Comment