I love how easy they are to make. Sometimes I start with leftover white chicken chili as my filling and sometimes I just throw together a bunch of stuff I find in the fridge. We're always pleased with the results.
Then one day, Debbi made BBQ Chicken Enchiladas. I wasn't sure how I was going to like the BBQ flavor added to a Mexican dish. But since she used our favorite BBQ sauce (see giveaway link at the top of the page), I just knew I had to try her recipe. As usual, Debbi's recipe didn't disappoint! We loved the combination of the barbecue sauce mixed with the enchilada sauce. The first time I made the recipe, I made some adjustments based on the ingredients I had on hand, but I misplaced my notes. That was the perfect excuse to make them again!
Sorry for the bad photo. Enchiladas aren't very photogenic!
I didn't have three pounds of chicken, so I bulked mine up with veggies, rice and beans.
BBQ Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup celery, diced
- 1/3 cup onion, diced
- 11 oz. chicken, pre-cooked, diced
- 1 1/3 cup white rice, prepared
- 3/4 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup corn
- 5 oz. Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 2/3 cup Butch's Smack Your Lips BBQ Sauce (Mild)
- 2 cans (10oz each) red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. Butch's Magic Dust BBQ Seasoning (Mild)
- 12 tortillas
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine the barecue sauce, enchilada sauce, cayenne pepper and barbecue seasoning. Set aside.
- Cook vegetables in hot oil until tender. Add chicken, black beans and corn.
- Once heated through, pour about half of the sauce mixture over the chicken and vegetables.
- Add the rice and about 1/2 the cheese. Mix well.
- Pour a small amount of the remaining sauce into the bottom of baking dish.
- Fill each of the tortillas with about 1/3 cup of the mixture. Roll, and place in baking dish, seam side down.
- Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas and top with other half of cheese.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
12 servings @ 391* calories per serving.
(*calories are approximate and may not always be accurate)
- These enchiladas turned out a bit thin, not the big fat enchiladas you get when you go out to your local Mexican restaurant. Normally, I would have used more filling per wrap, but with eating fewer calories in mind, I wanted these to be diet-friendly. Well, as diet friendly as they could be! I need to find some lower calorie tortillas, too! The ones I used were 210 calories each! Yikes!
- Notice the odd measurements? I threw this together using whatever I had in the fridge. The chicken was leftover from a previous meal, same with the corn. The rice was leftover white rice from Chinese take-out!
- I skimped on the cheese. Again, trying to keep it diet friendly. :)
Enchiladas are great served with some Cheesey Spanish Rice on the side!
I'll be linking this recipe to the following blog carnivals and linky parties:
- What's on the Menu Wednesday
- Works For Me Wednesday
- Turning the Table Thursday
- Full Plate Thursday
- It's a Keeper Thursday