Can you tell I had a great weekend? It was a long, hot and exhausting weekend. But it really was a great one!
I may have mentioned before that my basement is starting to look like it should be the topic of the next episode of the reality show Hoarders. Everything we brought from our apartment (10+ years worth of stuff) was stored in our basement. Added to that was boxes and boxes of stuff that was in my parents' attic. Things that were in my room in their old house when I was a kid/pre-teen/young-adult. So, what's that? Like 40 years worth of memories (and junk)?
For months, my friend Barb and I have been trying to pick a date to hold a yard sale. On Wednesday of this week, Barb called me to see if I wanted to hold the yard sale over the weekend. Knowing that I wanted to unload some stuff, I agreed, even though I thought it was too short notice to really manage a decet sale.
It's one thing to know that you want to have a sale, it's another to actually sort through all those years worth of stuff to determine what will be kept and what will be sold. Plus, everything has to be priced. I only have time to do things like that when Grace is asleep. Of course, both Wednesday and Thursday nights she was not willing to cooperate at bedtime.
But on Friday we sorted through a lot of stuff and got everything priced and ready to sell on Saturday morning. Barb and I sold a lot! More than half of all the items we put out sold! Most of what is left will be taken to our local thrift shop to be donated. Even with all that sold, I still have a lot more stuff to sort through in both the basement and the attic, so I am hoping to have another sale in the early fall. Our neighbors want in on that one after seeing how much traffic we had on Saturday!
Anyway, In addition to being very tired, I feel very happy and very accomplished today and am very excited to jump back into menu planning.
Although we are still trying to use up what's in our freezer and pantry, we did do a larger shopping order this weekend to pick up some boneless chicken breast, some ground beef and some fresh vegetables. What we bought today, should last us a couple of weeks if not more. I will still be focusing on using as many ingredients as I can from our freezer and pantry.
This is what we'll be eating this week:
- Spaghetti with Simply Tomato Sauce, Fried Eggplant, garlic bread, salad.
- Barbecue Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes, Fried Zucchini, corn on the cob. I'm a little sad that we didn't get around to planting our little vegetable garden this year. Especially, now that I see all of the wonderful zucchini recipes posted all over the internet! This isn't the healthiest way to eat zucchini, but it is one of our favorites! (The recipes for the meatloaf and mashed potatoes will be posted soon!)
- Tuna Noodle Casserole. MMmmm. Comfort food! After breaking down and ordering take-out over the weekend, I am in serious need of some comfort food. I'll check out the weather to see if there is going to be a cooler day to prepare this.
- Baked Veggie Fritters. I plan on making up a batch of these tasty veggie patties and eating them with meals through out the week. They are great as a snack or quick lunch too!
- Waffles, Turkey Bacon, fruit salad. Last week, we had breakfast for dinner twice (three times if you count the leftovers!) We had blueberry pancakes and Scrapple in the beginning of the week. Then it was french toast and turkey bacon later in the week. After finding my never-used waffle iron while sorting through all of the many boxes in my basement, I decided that this week will be my first attempt at ever making waffles!
What are you serving for dinner this week? Share in the comments or follow me over to I'm an Organizing Junkie and join in the Menu Plan Monday fun!
Also, check out my previous post about FREE Activia Selects Yogurt!
Your veggie fritters look amazing! Congrats on your successful yard sale, too.
I keep saying I need to have a yard sale and get rid of stuff. Any chance you and Barb want to help me sort through all the stuff that has been cluttering my home for years? I now have tons of clothes to get rid of too. I have been donating to goodwill and giving some away to friends but there is so much with tags still on I can't bare to give away and could really use the money. Congrats on your clean out. Hope your next one is just as successful.
Post a Comment