I wasn't in the mood for a heavy meat sauce, so I looked over some recipes that I've been wanting to try for a while now and came across an easy tomato sauce recipe that I could hande without having to run
Since I was wanting to keep things simple, I didn't make too many changes to the original recipe. I added a green bell pepper since I needed to use it up. And, since I never have fresh herbs in the refrigerator and haven't gotten around to planting that herb garden I wanted, so I had to use a few of the many dried herbs and spices that I can't seem to keep organized in my pantry.
Here's what I used:
Simply Tomato Sauce
- 3 cans (28oz each) Tuttorosso Italian-Style Plum Shaped Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra light Olive Oil
- 6 tsp. bottled minced garlic
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Cook diced onions and peppers in hot olive oil, until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant. (Be careful not to burn garlic or it will taste bitter.)
- Add the tomatoes. Use a potato masher to crush the tomatoes as they cook.
- Stir the ingredients together, until well combined.
- Add the Italian Seasoning, along with the salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for about an hour.
- Serve over your favorite pasta.
When I first tasted the sauce, I wasn't sure how much I liked it. By the end of dinner, I realized that I really enjoyed it. It was just so different than our normal, meaty sauce. After eating the leftovers for lunch today, I realize that this sauce is soooo much better the next day! So, from now on, I'll be making a batch of this sauce the day before I plan to serve it for dinner.
I served 1/2 cup of sauce over 1 cup of cooked spaghetti. I also made a side salad and garlic breadsticks.
By the time I finished my spaghetti and bread stick, I was too full to eat my salad.
This made 7 cups of sauce.
1/2 cup sauce = 82 calories
1 cup spaghetti = 197 calories
1 garlic bread stick = 170 calories
Total meal = 449 calories
I'm linking this recipe to the following blog carnivals and linky parties:
- Your Recipe, My Kitchen
- Just Another Meatless Monday
- Homemaker Mondays
- My Meatless Monday
- Mangia Mondays
- Tip Me Tuesdays
- Tuesdays Tasty Tidbits
- Delectable Tuesday
- Made From Scratch Tuesday
- Delicious Dishes