So, what are my goals for this challenge? I've been thinking about this challenge for a few weeks now and really my ultimate goal is to be able to keep up with my 2 year old! I know realistically, I'll never have her unstopping energy, but I'd like to at least look like I can keep up! Also, I'd like to feel comfortable getting my picture taken! Most often, I'm the one snapping the photos. But there are those few occasions that Joe has the camera and is taking pictures of me with Grace. A lot of times, I'm trying to hide behind her. Sometimes it's just me feeling all fat and uncomfortable. I don't want to feel that way anymore. That will involve some serious weightloss!
For some background information and before photos, click the Weight Loss tab at the top.
Here's what I'm hoping to achieve in the next 12 weeks:
Eat fewer calories:
- While this is not my first diet, calorie counting isn't something I'm familiar with at all. I joined MyFitnessPal.com to help me figure the calories for those foods that don't come in packages! They also have a recipe builder that will be a huge help! MyFitnessPal.com suggests I limit my calories to 1390 per day. That's puts me right there in the challenge specifications of 10,000 per week. After doing a "test run" the other day, I realize it's going to be a real challenge in itself! I'll be checking out Debbi's other blog (Debbi Does Dinner Healthy) for great low-calorie meal ideas!
Keep a Food Journal:
- This works! I used to do this when I lost weight using Weight Watchers Online. It worked the best if I planned ahead. Sort of like Menu Planning. With WWonline, I journaled using their online program. MyFitnessPal offers a journaling program, too. I'll also use a notebook, for me, that sometimes works best.
- I wish this said "Drink MORE water" but in reality, I need to START drinking water. Diet Pepsi is always my drink of choice, especially first thing in the morning! I'm not a coffee/tea drinker so I have to get my caffeine somewhere! Eight glasses of water each day is my goal. More will be a bonus!!!
Healthier snack options:
- I'm a huge snacker! I love snacks and often find myself JUST snacking all day. At dinner time, when I think back to what I ate all day, I find that all I did was snack for the entire day. That's bad. Well, it wouldn't be so bad if it was a rare occasion, but this happens most days. That's really bad. I need to keep the house stocked with healthier snack options: an apple, some cut veggies and dip, Fiber One Bars (my favorite!), etc.
- This will be difficult. Not only is it difficult for me to get motivated to exercise, it's also difficult to find the time. For now, I want to plan on exercising 3 times a week. I'll start off slow, since really, I'm WAY OUT OF SHAPE! I have an exercise bike in the basement. I'll get a workout just trying to dig out a clear spot for it! I have WiiFit and I also have a Walk Away the Pounds DVD. I'll see what Comcast On Demand is offering in their fitness section, too! I might be able to get Grace to do the walking DVD with me.
- Obviously, I want all of those previous goals to result in some weight loss! My ultimate goal is 64 lbs. But since this is just a twelve week challenge, not only is it unlikely that I'd lose that much, it also wouldn't be safe to lose so much so quickly. I'd love to lose 20 lbs. in 12 weeks, but for me, I'm not sure if that would be a possibility. So, I'll set 15 lbs. as my goal weightloss for the challenge. If I end up losing more, that would be a bonus!
If you want to find out more about the Slimmer this Summer Challenge, follow me over to Debbi's dieting blog (Debbi Does Dieting)!
Good luck, everyone!